Ravi Kissen was the first choice for Bigg Boss 2 Anchor




It would be a sin to keep referring to Ravi Kissen as the Bhojpuri superstar. After all, this talented actor has taken huge strides to emerge as hot property in Bollywood.

Currently, Ravi has been shooting on the outskirts of Kochi for Mani Ratnam’s Ravan which stars Abhishek and Aishwarya. Prior to this, he was in South Africa where he matches shoulders with the likes of Sanjay Dutt, Mithun Chakraborty and the nation’s heartthrob Imran Khan in Soham Shah’s upcoming film Luck. He could be in for the biggest role of his life if the film based on Rahul Raj, the Bihar youth who was recently shot dead by Mumbai police, materialises.

Bollywood may have opened its doors for him but Ravi isn’t one to neglect television. After all, it was Bigg Boss that catapulted him to national fame. Ravi will be back in the Bigg Boss house to grace the finale of the ongoing second season.

In an exclusive chat with Webnsn.com, the actor talks about his rising Bollywood career, Rahul Raj, Bigg Boss 2 and more. Read on.

Tere Naam, Hera Pheri, Welcome to Sajjanpur and now Ravan. Is Bollywood finally giving Ravi Kissen his due?

Yes, it’s been due for over 19 years. I’m thrilled that my work is now appreciated.

Are there any regrets why this didn’t happen at a time when you could have played more lead actor’s role?

No, I have no problem with it. It’s better late than ever. I’m loaded with plum offers. I’m getting to do my kind of cinema which is very arty in nature. Besides, in our industry, you become a hero after 40. And I’m only 37 now. This is a rocking period for me.

You look more muscular. Are you emulating the likes of SRK, Aamir and Salman?

Competition is always good. It makes you aware of yourself. You become more fit. As a hero, it’s imperative that you keep looking good. I exercise for 90 minutes every day. I too will soon flaunt my packs.

Is it true that you’re playing Kumbhkaran in Mani Ratnam’s Ravan?

These reports are totally false. I want to clear that Ravan is not a mytho. It’s an intense love story. I play Abhishek’s brother and beyond this I can’t tell you anything. What I can say is that shooting for this film has been quite an experience. We wake up at 3.30 am; never put any make-up and we’re shooting in a place where we are surrounded by snakes, leeches and other creatures. I badly needed a film like Ravan which would enable me to break into world cinema. I want to be part of international films.

It’s buzzed that you’re going to play the lead role in a film based on the life of Rahul Raj.

It’s too early to say anything. Firstly, I’m doing a lot of research on this boy. We need to find out whether he was frustrated, and what prompted to take such an action. From what I’ve learned through the media is that he was carrying a katta (hand made revolver) which contains only one bullet. If that turns out to be the truth, then one has to question the need to shoot him in the head.

However, if it’s proven that Rahul was guilty and that he did carry more bullets then I won’t go ahead with the film.

What was your first reaction to this case?

I was so saddened by his death that I didn’t celebrate Diwali. I didn’t have any sweets nor did I distribute any. I just kept praying the whole day.

Rather giving any communal tone to it, shouldn’t one just look at the Rahul Raj case as a law and order issue?

This is a very sensitive matter. It is very easy for me to talk but my words can be interpreted in other ways. I don’t want to create any controversies.

Is it wise to have such a film, especially when another film (Deshdrohi) that’s based on the Marathi-North Indians divide is banned in Maharasthra?

There may be valid reasons why the government has banned Deshdrohi. I’m not aware of them thus it would be wise of me to not comment on it. With regards to my film, I don’t think anyone should have a problem with it.

As a Bihari, do you feel unsafe in Mumbai?

No. I’m living happily Mumbai. There are about 45 lakh north Indians living in Mumbai and I don’t think many have left. Whatever trouble that we are seeing is just a run-up to the elections. Once the elections are over things will be back to normal.

Tell us what will you be doing in Bigg Boss 2?

I’ll be required to go there for just one day. I still don’t know what my role would be. Probably, I’d be asked to go inside the house and perform.

Bigg Boss 2 is drawing flak for being vulgar and the quality of contestants too doesn’t excite many.

The first season was original. I can’t say the same about the current season. We never played for money. What we’re seeing now is complete stupidity. Those inside the house should understand that you are on national television and are being watched by family and children. You have responsibility towards the community. Unfortunately, that is what is lacking in Bigg Boss 2.

We’ve heard Bigg Boss 2 contestants say that they are here to improve their image. However, from what we’ve seen they seem to doing the opposite. Do you agree?

I don’t know about others but I can only speak for myself. This show changed my life completely. I really owe 80 per cent of my success to Bigg Boss. The game is not only about winning 50 lakh rupees but you need to earn respect all over the country. This is an opportunity which needs to be cashed but the current lot doesn’t seem to understand this. It’s their fault and their loss.

No comments:

Audience Favorites