The gold rush Are reality shows a lucrative career option?


Don't be surprised if in another few years schools spring up in your locality claiming to groom your children to become reality show champions! Just like the way cricket academies have mushroomed all over the place promising to create Sachin Tendulkars and Sourav Gangulys, chances are high that we will see the same mad rush for reality show schools as well! The reason? Participating and winning reality shows being the latest profession in India.

The reality behind music talent shows


Ridiculous as it may sound, but this is turning out to be a new profession. Like Jade Goody created an international career of participating in reality shows and pocketing heavy appearance fees, even in our country reality show winners like Abhijeet Sawant, Ashutosh Kaushik, Rahul Vaidya, Prajakta Shukre, Vineet Singh, Amit Sana, Debojit and their likes are doing just that. They may not be very successful in their careers otherwise, but they make a living and earn fame by participating in reality shows. They, understandably, are not very open in admitting the same.

Most infamous Tamashas of 2008 in Television



Top 14 contestants of Gala Finalists of "Indian Idol 4"



"People know me by my name only because of Indian Idol. Everything that I have got today is because of the reality show," says Prajakta, one of the most popular contestants of the first Indian Idol contest. "However, it won't be correct to say that I have made a career out of participating in reality shows. Ever since Indian Idol there has been only one reality show that I have participated in – Jo Jeeta Wohi Superstar. And that was a fight between winners and finalists a very high-profile show, which is why I decided to participate. I am not a reality show star. I am a singer and working very hard to make a successful career in that. Reality shows gave me a platform and I am working hard to develop my singing career based on that platform."

Zee TV - Sa Re Ga Ma Pa


Vineet, the runner-up of the 2005 competition of Sa Re Ga Ma feels somewhat differently. "The competition I participated in went on for 10 months. It taught me a lot and also gave me good money. There is no denying the fact that reality shows mean good money. And without money you cannot live in Mumbai. You need money even to struggle and go from one studio to the other. Reality shows offer a good and easy way to earn money."

TOP Indian Reality Shows


Apart from Sa Re Ga Ma, Vineet has participated in Jo Jeeta Wahi Superstar and hosted Aaja Mahi Ve (a dance-based reality show for non-celeb couples). "For both the shows I got good offers from the channel. It did give me immense satisfaction. But I don't want to do any more reality shows though I got offers from a number of channels for participating in their shows. But I am tired of asking for votes – don't want to do it any more," explains Vineet who does not want the reality show tag being attached to him. "Every entertainment industry professional, right up to Mr Amitabh Bachchan is struggling today. And it seems Bollywood music directors have promised not to give us a break! But I am not one to give up – will wait and struggle till I make my mark. I can make the money required to run my household from stage shows."

From Roadies to Bigg Boss- Ashutosh Kaushik


Ashutosh Kaushik, the latest reality show sensation and winner of Bigg Boss 2 also feels that these shows are good money spinners for participants. This is his second reality show victory after MTV Roadies and he is understandably on cloud nine and all grateful to the reality shows. As he said after his victory, "I participated in Bigg Boss largely because it would help bring financial stability in my life. After I won Roadies, I wanted to stay in Mumbai but had no place to stay. I had to roam around on the streets. Winning Bigg Boss has given me the opportunity to buy a flat in Mumbai and stay here. I have no plans to do another reality show unless the offer is really good and it is as high profile as Bigg Boss."

Nach Baliye - Star One & Star Plus


"I think I have done too many reality shows," confesses Abhijeet Sawant who is currently doing Nach Baliye with his partner. He had earlier won Indian Idol and also participated in Jo Jeeta Wahi Superstar. "My first film – Lottery – is almost ready and in the post-production stage. I want to now concentrate on my musical career. No more reality shows for me," says Abhijeet in his bid to drive home the point that he is not dependent on reality shows.


Indian Idol (Sony Entertainment Television)


Amit Sana, one of the most popular contestants of Indian Idol has very strong opinions about reality shows and says the money is not always good. After a dream run in Indian Idol, he was battered by all and sundry in Jo Jeeta Wohi Superstar. "While I have earned my fame through reality shows, I am not a reality show star! There are many reality shows were you will see us perform, but a number of them are for free. All we get in return is free publicity on television."


TOP Indian Television Anchors


An agitated Amit goes on, "In fact, if you ask me today, I don't have intentions, whatsoever, of doing any more reality shows, unless something really big is offered to me. If I take up any more reality shows, it will be to prove myself and clear my name from the bad-performer tag it got during Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander." Amit is also totally against the system of voting in reality shows. "Everybody, irrespective of their singing abilities, asks for votes. And in so many instances we have seen the better participant lose out because of this system."

Bollywood Top Ten of the week


As is evident from these reality show celebrities, there is no denying the fact that reality shows offer them a very stable and concrete backup in terms of fame and finance. So irrespective of whether they like doing it or not, whether it is good for their career or not, the temptation of instant fame and money is impossible to resist it seems. And there is nothing wrong in that.


Also Read:

TOP 10 Music hits of 2008


Hottest Bollywood Debuts, 2008


Forbes' richest Americans announced

Top tech winners of 2008

Hottest brands in the World, 2008

India's TOP corrupt states

India's TOP 15 best cities for IT-BPO growth

Television Top 10 Programs @ Click Here

No comments:

Audience Favorites