Hema Singh aka Imarti Devi was to play Ammaji in Laado

Hema Singh

The ardent fans of Laado enjoy watching the character of Ammaji (played by Meghna Malik). The actress gained immense popularity through this portrayal and the audiences just love watching her antics in this daily. However, if things would have fallen into place, another brilliant actress would have essayed this character.

So without running round the bush, we would get straight to the point. Hema Singh, who is seen as Imarti Devi in Colors’ Kairi, was approached to play Ammaji. “Yes, I was offered the role, but since I was busy at NSD (National School of Drama), where I am an A grade artist and also an acting professor, I had to decline the offer.”

In fact, even now she has taken a leave of two years from this institute to be part of Kairi. “I believe this show will help me understand the transformation an actor goes through while switching from theatre to a television show. Since acting on stage and acting on screen are two different things, I will surely learn a lot,” says this actress who has been part of many telefilms and feature films before.

In fact, Hema bagged the role of Imarti Devi, all thanks to one of her ex-students. “The credit completely goes to my ex-student at NSD, Ashish Bhatra, who is a creative Head with Shashi-Sumeet Mittal. I remember I was busy with the NSD’s International festival Bharangal which had around 107 plays. I was busy with the proceedings, when Ashish asked me to give an audition. I was wearing kurti and jeans, so to suit the role I put a bindi and wore a dupatta and auditioned. And later I got a call from the channel and I had the role.”

And having bagged this role, this talented actress wants to make the best use of this opportunity. “I am eyeing this (show) as an opportunity to learn new things, just like Arjun had his eyes on the fish. In fact, when all the actors talk on the sets (in breaks), I rehearse my dialogues over and over again as I want my character to be appreciated by the audience.”

Well, Hema with such a dedication your efforts will surely pay off well!!!

No comments:

Audience Favorites