The Crusader - Kiran Bedi

Kiran Bedi is India’s first and highest ranking woman officer who joined the Indian Police Service in 1972 and took voluntary retirement in the year 2007. She has also been a National and an Asian Tennis champion. She always had the desire of helping the people in need and in an attempt to do the same she has founded two NGOs, Navjyoti and India Vision Foundation, which reaches out to over 10,000 beneficiaries daily, in the areas of drug abuse treatment, schooling for children of prisoners, in addition to education, training, counselling, and health care to the urban and rural poor.

She is the recipient of the prestigious Ramon Magsaysay Award (also called the Asian Nobel Prize). In keeping with her true spirit Bedi is hosting Aap Ki Kachehri, the first of its kind show where she helps the affected parties with out- of- court settlements.

Webnsn.com caught up with the gutsy lady who spoke on why she agreed to do the show, her childhood, her inspiration and lots more.

Excerpts:

What propelled you to do the show?

The concept. No other concept would have driven me like this. The spirit of the concept comes so naturally to me because that’s been the spirit of my work. This show is the continuity of the spirit of my work. Ofcourse, I needed a lot of training by the producer of the show Siddharth Basu for the fine tuning.

Were there any apprehensions doing the show?

I can’t remember lines and scripts and fortunately there are no lines to be remembered in the show. If it required me to learn all those lines I would have never done it. Aap Ki Kachehri has no scripts for anybody. I think that is one reason why the show looks natural as everything is real and that is why people relate to the show.

Can you discuss one case that you found most difficult to adjudicate?

It’s never been difficult. Because the resistance itself is a resolution to me as with that atleast you have clarity. To me everything is a resolution as whatever they want atleast they convinced everyone why they want it. You succeed once you overcome and solve the confusion and I think that’s what is emerging on the show. The only problem arises when you have one party consenting and the other resisting. All said and done we don’t force the reconciliation and remedies to the parties.

Would you agree that a big name like Kiran Bedi has helped the show and the expectations have gone up?

So that makes me more nervous. I would like to believe what you said. But yes in such a case the perception of trust is important therefore the responsibility on us to live upto that trust.

Why did you want to join the police force?

Policing for me was power to change. I believed in using this power to change and do the right thing. According to me policing can be defined as the state power to change the things and make others also do right. I didn’t know the pay package and the criteria regarding the promotions but I just knew that I could make people work towards collective growth.

What has been the turning point in your life?

Oh! I think AKK may turn out to be another turning point in my life. It is emerging by itself and each episode propels you further to do something different.

You have inspired many. Who has been your inspiration?

My home and the love of my parents was my inspiration. I have a beautiful home where my mother and father were real pillars of inspiration. We are four sisters and when we were younger we were all playing tennis and everybody bagging trophies. Mine was a very inspiring, caring, loving and a close knit family. There was no dependence on anything else but the home. Ours was a very simple home which was very happy with its simplicity. Whatever we had used to satiate us and we never craved for more. I wanted to achieve, win a match and take a trophy for my parents. For me that was the beginning and the end and it still remains the same. I didn’t have to look beyond my family for any inspiration. My idol remains to be the dedication and love of my parents. My mother is gone and my father is 90 now and we live together.

Tell us about your sisters?

My sisters have all spread out across the globe and I am the only Indian. One is a British; the other one is an American and the third one is a Canadian. They all come back for Diwali and they love being at my home as they think that my home is our mother’s home.

How were you as a child?

Oh! As a child I was always on the road playing tennis or jogging or exercising. I was always involved in outdoor activities. It didn’t bother me whether it would rain or shine or I would get tanned. I cut my hair short because of the need for tennis.

What do you think of the youth today?

Youth is so demanding now. Youth of today is very knowledgeable, probing, inquisitive and driving.

How can we combat terror?

I think one word – ‘Work Together’. It means whatever you have is scattered so one has to start putting it together as a team and practice together. Once you are ready for responses with resources flowing in you are ready to face anything. Start working together from today and tomorrow you will have better guns, better law, better bullet proof jackets and boats and then isolate the office that’s not working according to the set guidelines and in that process the media will have to play its part. But for that to happen we will have to work together from today.

More www.webnsn.com

No comments:

Audience Favorites